ome areas shock you. They relieve you of your comfort zone and also force you to remove particular prejudices. Among these is Dakar, the resources of Senegal, among the few African skateboard elettrico nations to have never ever endured a successful stroke, through a colonial and also pre-colonial history various from numerous others.
In the loud streets of Dakar, music chases you. Everywhere. On taxis, constantly interrupted by the voice of the muezzins. Or while you stroll in the streets of the facility, spread in the vibrant markets by the radio of a road vendor. In Dakar, more than sunglasses – a rather costly accessory here – they all utilize earphones and headphones for paying attention. You see them appearing from the afro hairstyles of the trainees, yet also on display screen on kaftan, the classy standard dress of Friday, a day of prayer for Islam. Muslims below more than 90 percent of the populace, and exercise a form of Islam as opposed to the extra salafist and fundamentalist ones.
I fulfill Moustapha Diop on a Friday mid-day in a suburban area of Dakar, where African rhythms disappear in traffic. Moustapha is the CEO and also founder of Solid ( Service Informatique Sturdy), an IT business born regarding ten years back and also which has currently grown to broaden in surrounding nations, with workplaces in Cream color Coast and Gabon. His area is crucial: the African sunshine can be found in undermined by a home window covered by a creamy colored curtain, which evokes that particular leisure air in the best hrs. There are some trophies on the desk, such as the one awarded last year by Microsoft that named Strong „Partner of the Year for Senegal”.
- But the project Solid is now working on is among those that shows an uncommon Africa, at the very least for the mainstream media: going after the growing earnings of e-commerce and also the trend of ‚fluid songs’, Diop has established the platform for MusikBi songs download. He made his web launching in February advertising Senegalese music, yet the website „is slowly becoming a collection factor for some manufacturers outside the region,” Diop tells me with a captivated tone, drawing my attention to a new client from Vietnam.
- But the actual tale of MusikBi started several years back, when Diop, today a 54 year old with a severe as well as scheduled face, was still a young boy and was part of a musical team that played a genre at the time extremely widespread, the Afrobeat. „
- In the 80s I played in a band called JAMM (” tranquility „in Wolof, one of the most usual neighborhood language in spite of the official language being French, ed) with which I did live performances filling up the clubs”. It resembled being still, somehow, in the pre-recording duration, says the entrepreneur-musician.
- When songs was conceived as an object of sharing and also not so much of usage. There was a great deal of listening on the radio, and in Dakar there were online performances at least every weekend break, in clubs in the city yet also on improvisated stages.
In those years way too many social as well as household stress maintained youths far from music as a career. For Diop, at the start, music was a therapeutic electrical outlet. After a crash, the guitar that his cousin from Paris had actually sent him as a present aided him make it through the long days of recovery. After graduating in maths in 1990, Diop transferred to Canada to research computer science at Laval College in Quebec City. ” It remained in Canada that I purchased my first computer with money from a jazz agreement.” I picture him as one of those African guitar players in the style of the Cameroonian Yves N’Djock), in wonderful need on the Parisian scene – and also not only – since they are able to adjust to styles unrelated to the traditions within which they matured.
- As Senegal changes, lots of in Dakar are accomplishing a way of life that is significantly near to Western criteria. Moustapha Diop is just one of those entrepreneurs who studied abroad and then went back to Senegal to do company with the constantly expanding middle class, but he picked to incorporate his enthusiasm for songs with university studies: MusikBi is a solution of acquisition and also download songs that permits you to (additionally) use a sms message for repayment. It is not necessary to have a smartphone.
- CDs can likewise be acquired which are then supplied to your residence making use of the neighborhood Indilma Express service. ” In a nation where bank card are not widespread, sms bankingit is an additional resource „, to acquire songs online, Diop clarifies to me, hence ending up being a trendsetter who capitalizes on a more widespread technology in Africa than elsewhere, that of cell phones that function as a bank and distribution network, even if not appropriately at no cost. According to World Bank data reported in April on the Economic expert website, between 2011 as well as 2014 making use of mobile-money accounts boosted by 10 percent factors in Sub-Saharan Africa, from 24% to 34%.
- The challenge launched by MusikBi is likewise that of „responding to the sensation of piracy”, continues Diop, in a nation where the application of copyright rules is weak. Songs in Senegal still adheres to casual channels, and also a CD or cassette tape lasts a brief time prior to being illegally replicated as well as sold by road suppliers. „There is not even an actual songs shop in Dakar,” inform me the S’killaz, a group of young rappers produced by a small independent tag, Wakh’Art Music (WAM). They are likewise present on MusikBi as well as on a number of various other worldwide systems, including the huge iTunes „electronic store” (which, by all accounts, holds unreasonable commissions for regional manufacturing).
- Today there are numerous on the internet solutions devoted to African music that focus on streaming, along with downloading: there are Spinlet, Mdundo, Cloud 9 to call simply a couple of. This adjustment in the landscape is never problem for African music, certainly, according to Diop there have never been as several chances as today to get to an ever larger target market.
- MusikBi, like various other platforms, likewise trusts the payment of the Senegalese and also African diaspora. Diop shows me a display of his PC where you can see the purchases made from abroad (using PayPal and also charge card): there are the USA, France, as well as likewise Italy. It appears to me that a person of the purposes of this effort is additionally to ensure that this percent of customers from abroad is satisfied.
- Benefiting from the launch of MusikBi, Diop likewise explains to me that he has taken into blood circulation a card (TicketBi) with which it is feasible to purchase tickets for music performances. There is optimism airborne. But probably since there is a concert set up. Diop as well as his artist buddies will once again order their instruments to come with the live performance of a group of rappers that carry out the complying with day at the Magicland in Dakar. We bid farewell by making a visit for tomorrow, when I can see for myself the music scene that MusikBi intends to spread out throughout Africa, and also past.
Rap songs, together with other hip jump styles, in the abundant location of Senegal is the voice of a young generation. A lot more populous, more thrilled, a lot more vibrant, also compared to the Afrobeat 80s-90s rhythms. There are lots of young artists who clog local radio stations, composing or improvising on a particular statistics. They are groups that do not necessarily offer lots of documents, yet whose excellent live efficiencies load rooms of considerable size. Rap music controlla anche lo skateboard elettrico pushes us to concentrate on the social system in which we are placed. In 2013 a Journal Rappè was also released in Senegal, a poetry and also songs newspaper defined by Le Monde as an impertinent feedback to traditional details. „Rappers are like journalists.
Here in Senegal we have a lot to claim concerning what is happening. Politics, politics, politics, ‚yet we desire results’, is the theme with which we made our debut 25 years back. And also on which we still firmly insist. We have a huge agreement from the people and also this makes us crucial „, explains Duggy Tee (aka Amadou Barry), rap artist, vocalist, writer as well as manufacturer with his very own label, Nubient. He stands for a representative figure of African hip jump: he began his profession in the late 80s with the group with the eloquent name Positive Back Heart (PBS) started with the ex-rival, the well-known political rap artist Didier Awadi (this the last is also a founding participant of AURA, United Artists for African Rap, a collective of hip jump musicians from West Africa started around the mid-2000s).
I meet Duggy Tee in his taping workshop, additionally located in the central area of Mermoz, during a break while he is working with his brand-new cd, which will certainly be launched in the summer season. There is the battery positioned in a cabin somewhat bigger than a storage room which is bordered by sound-absorbing panels, and also there is a microphone. In a second room I see a significant console outfitted with digital displays reminiscent of the deck of a spacecraf in sci-fi movies. When I ask him which of his most recent tracks I should pay attention to, he answers me firmly, Job. Speak about the demand in Senegal to get to work, in a viewpoint of pan-African unity. From here emerges all Duggy Tee’s interest for Africanism, its abundant society and its basic values, faced with persistence.
In Senegal, rappers have actually tackled a crucial function in mobilizing popular opinion in the political sector, Duggy Tee discusses. In the vibrant Senegalese civil society, the movement ” Y’ en a Marre ” was very energetic („we are fed up!”), Later renamed M23. Started by some local rap artists and journalists in 2011, the motion was able to activate huge masses of young Senegalese and parties, unions and also non-governmental companies integrated. The chronicle of those months tells that, because of them, Wade was forced to give up his constitutional reform task implicated of leading the country in the direction of a dangerous authoritarian drift. In other words, the voices of Senegalese hip jump such as Duggy Tee, however likewise Carlou D (additionally component of the PBS) and also Daara J, are extra thundering than ever, as well as today they definitely compete with Senegalese pop, the mbalax (which nevertheless loads again the movie theaters of ladies) of the Youssou N’Dour. Or the Baaba Maal afro-fusion-rock. These last 2 musicians are additionally existing on the MusikBi platform.